Wednesday, October 1, 2014

Natalie's Birth Story

I will try to type everything I remember, but it's been 3.5 weeks and I haven't slept longer than 3-4 hour stretches in that time period so I'll do my best :) Having 3 other children who don't let me "sleep when the baby sleeps" doesn't help my zombie-like state either! Oddly enough, this labor and delivery went down almost exactly like Madison's 5.5 years ago...even down to the same midwife and water leaking, etc. They were also born 2 minutes apart!

I was due on Wednesday, September 3. That day came and passed like I figured it would given my past. On Thursday September 4 I went in for my 40 week check up. They did the ultrasound (Biophysical profile) to make sure Natalie looked good. Everything checked out and they estimated her weight to be about 8 lb. 3 oz. I saw one of the doctors after that (I see both midwives and doctors there) and she stripped my membranes to see if we could get anything started. I've had this done multiple times in the past with no luck, but this time it hurt a lot. I was at 2cm and 80% effaced. They went ahead and scheduled my induction to be on Tuesday the 9th at 6am. Brad was with me so we left and headed out to pick the boys up at preschool. After we picked up Micah, we were walking across the building to get Landon when suddenly I felt my thighs get really wet. I headed to the bathroom while Brad and Micah went on to get Landon. I think I was in denial somewhat but I was pretty sure it was my water leaking (again, I've had experience several times with it leaking). I decided to wait and see if it leaked anymore the rest of the day because it was only a tiny bit. We took the boys out, got some Zaxby's for lunch, then headed over to pick up Madison from school. We came home and I started feeling some painless contractions around 4-5pm. To me it was odd that they were painless, just very tight and very regular. My parents later got home and I was starting to have a little more pain and my water started leaking a little again. I had several friends texting me all day to see how things were going and I honestly didn't know if I was in real labor or not (I've never experienced contractions on my own, only water breaking). Finally around 9 something I decided to call and see if they wanted me to come into the hospital. My contractions were very irregular at this point but because there's the risk of infection awhile after water breaks, they said I could come on in or wait until the morning. My midwife left it up to me. I decided that we needed to get this done so I packed up after getting the kids in bed. As soon as we were about to walk out the door, Micah puked in his crib. Honestly I thought this was the absolute worst timing and I was just gonna have to hold this baby in a few more days till he got better. We figured out it was probably some sour milk he had drank earlier because he seemed so much better and only did it once, then went back to sleep. Brad and my mom cleaned up his crib and I cleaned Micah up (as best I could while contracting and leaking). My mom drove us to the hospital while my dad stayed back with the kids.

We got to the hospital and since it was so late, most doors were locked so we had to walk around to the main entrance and down halls upon halls...which seemed like it was a 20 minute walk while contracting every few minutes.

Brad got this lovely picture of us walking to main doors...trying to smile in between contractions.

I signed in, then they took me to the assessment room and hooked me up to monitor contractions and make sure I was leaking amniotic fluid. It was a yes to both but I was still only 2cm dilated. They went ahead and put in my IV (well, a practicing nurse did and just left a whole in my arm, no blood-ouch. The other nurse got it in my hand-bigger ouch). They monitored me a little bit longer and got the plan from my midwife, then walked me to my labor room.

I got settled in my bed, answered all their questions, and began to wait. After a little while, my midwife came in and said to get started on Pitocin. I knew this would happen and I never want it, but I knew it would speed things along since I wasn't very regular. At this point I was up to 4cm on my own and the pain was not bad at all. I was doing just fine with no pain medication but I decided to go ahead and get the epidural when I got the Pitocin because it is rough stuff. I've had Pitocin now all 4 times and it is NOT fun. The anesthesiologist came in and stuck the giant needle in my back which was extremely painful, more so than the other 3. In fact, now 3 weeks later, I can still feel pain back there and I'm not sure when that will ever go away!

They started Pitocin after that and I tried to sleep on and off as best I could. Brad of course was snoring away and my mom tried her best to sleep some and pay attention every time they came in to check on things too. At one point, they had to turn off the Pitocin because Natalie's heart rate dropped too low, similar to what happened with Micah. I was turned over several times during the night because I'd have pain on my side or we needed to adjust to get her heart rate clearer, etc. I felt a good bit of the pain though, even with the epidural. I felt when contractions came and it was not fun, boosting my epidural did not help either. I just got the shakes from the epidural, and it was a pretty miserable few hours. Finally I got the same pain in my right side that I got with ALL 3 other kids that told me I was completely dilated. They of course did not want to keep checking me because my water had been broken for over 12 hours and they didn't want to risk infection. After asking several times, the nurse called my midwife and she said to go ahead and check me. Sure enough, all I needed was a little practice push and I was at 10 cm. She called my midwife back and said it was time to have a baby. Those were the heavenly words I was looking for!

Everyone came in, all the nurses and baby nurses and my midwife and got everything set up. I started pushing and she came pretty quickly. I pushed 11 minutes total and she was out. However, we had a really scary moment when her body was coming out. I did not hear it, but my mom said one of the nurses looked down and said "call NICU." At that moment my midwife stood up and looked like she was wrestling Natalie out. I gave one final hard push and she was out. The nurse then said "nevermind." Apparently, she had a very short cord and she was stuck-we had no idea. They weren't able to put her on my chest right away because the cord wouldn't reach. Brad had to cut it before I got her. She started crying (which sounded just like Landon!) and all was well. It took forever for my placenta to come out also, so I'm not sure what the deal was with all that. At the beginning of my pregnancy I was told I had a frontal or anterior placenta (which wasn't a problem, I just may not feel her movement as well). Natalie was there and healthy and I couldn't ask for anything more. She nursed like a champ and we of course fell in love with her. To me, she looks like Landon as a newborn, only slightly daintier/girlier and petite.

We were moved up to our recovery room a little bit later and I was still having really painful contractions every once in awhile, especially while breastfeeding. In fact they were worse than they were in labor, and this went on for probably a week or so after we got home. They were only able to give me Ibuprofen or Percocet which didn't help a bit. However they said my uterus was going down very fast so that helped. We had our routine stuff done, I was able to take out my IV after awhile, got a few hospital meals in me, and we were finally discharged to go home on Saturday. It was so nice to go home and not have someone wake you up every few hours to check your blood pressure and temperature!
So tiny going home!


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails