Tuesday, July 23, 2013

New Homemade Laundry Detergent Recipe

(also safe for HE washers)

I've been getting a lot of traffic from Pinterest and Google on my original post on the homemade laundry detergent I started making a little under 2 years ago. I wanted to update on a new recipe I just tried though. The original recipe I made was a gel and was a little tedious to make. I also found that I went through it quicker than I liked. It's a great recipe and worked well, but if you prefer a powdered version then keep reading. If you prefer a gel/liquid type, then go to my original post.

I looked and looked for a new recipe that made enough powder to last me awhile-I don't like having to remake it often.Well, this is the one I found and I absolutely love it!

Cheaper and Better DIY Laundry Detergent

She gives very clear instructions and I love the fact that I don't have to grate the soap anymore. Just put a bar of Fels Naptha (Or Zote, etc) on a paper towel in the microwave for 2 minutes, watch it puff up, let cool, then crumble it with your hands. Basically you just mix everything together in a big bucket and you're done. Depending on your load size, you use anywhere from 2-3 tablespoons per load, and this recipe makes at least 20 lbs. After pricing it all (all can be found in detergent aisle at Walmart) it costs less than $28. It cost me less since I already have some ingredients stored away from my last recipe. Not bad for hundreds of loads of laundry, huh? Oh and it smells SO good!

Ingredients:
  • 1 (4 lb 12 oz) box Borax
  • 1 (3 lb 7 oz) Box Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda
  • 1 (3 lb) Container Oxiclean (optional but recommended)
  • 2 (14.1 oz) Bars of Fels Naptha or Zote Soap
  • 1 (4 lb) Box Arm & Hammer Baking Soda (OR TWO 2 lb. boxes if you can't find the larger box)
  • 1-2 (55 oz) Bottle Purex Crystals Fabric Softener (I only used 1 and it was great)

What my soap looked like after the microwave:

Just crumble it with your hands. Why didn't I think of that almost 2 years ago?

 All mixed up in a bucket (got mine in the paint section at Walmart)
 I did as the author did and upcycled the Purex Crystals bottle-that way I'm not digging in my bucket every day. I just pour it into the little blue cap to the 2nd or 3rd line depending the size of the load. Easy and quick!
Did I mention how good this stuff smells?


 

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

definitely trying this when I have a family!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails