Thursday, February 3, 2011

A Few Ramblings and Another Member of the Family!

We've had a great week-busy, but great. My kids have spent half the week in the church nursery, having been there 4 times already this week. Wednesday we met our Sunday School class for Wednesday night dinner...haven't had that in SO long! It was really good, and we're going to try to start going more often on Wednesdays to church. I grew up going to Wednesday night church and all that was involved. Well, forced sometimes by my parents, but I am very glad they forced me! They knew what was good for me more than I did! It was just weird taking my own kids when I remember sitting there as a kid like it was yesterday in the same room eating before choir practice, GA's (Girls in Action), and Bible study (Cross Training in middle school!!) Anyways we had a great time just sitting around fellowshipping and eating...after all, we are Baptist and Baptists always have to have food at everything. After we ate, our friends Jessica and Matt found out that they are having another little BOY which is exciting. Between Keegan, Landon, and this little boy, there is going to be some trouble!

This morning I went to MOPS (Mothers of Preschoolers) at our church. It was a lot of fun and was nice to be able to stick the kids in childcare for a few hours while us moms got to eat (again) and talk about mom-things. I got a lot of good advice from our "mentor moms" and learned some things that I definitely needed to hear. It's so hard sometimes to be a stay at home mom, not only from being physically and emotionally exhausted, but also from the lack of adult interaction. I love being able to get out and talk to other moms, even if its with playdates. There are some days where I wish I could just go work a job like I used to which would be so much easier, but as a stay at home mom I feel like God has called me to do this for now. I have such an important job and being content (which was our topic this morning) can be a hard thing sometimes. One thing moms tend to do is compare everything about their kids-who can do this, who can do that, when they did it, etc. but the truth is most kids turn out ok and every child is different! The comparison goes on to comparing yourself to other moms as well-especially when you go to the store with your kids who start crying or throw temper tantrums and do things you swore "your kids would NEVER do!" and your baby decides its time to nurse or want to be held or have a blowout all over his clothes (or spit up an entire feeding on the floor you have to clean up-been there, done that). Especially as you stand there in sweats with no makeup and hair a mess, and then you see the immaculate mom of 4 with perfect clothes, hair, makeup, and kids behaving! It's definitely hard for me not to compare myself, but I've learned to stop and do what works best for my family. As for my appearance, I have a Bible verse from 1 Samuel 16:7 hanging on my bathroom mirror: "for man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart." That's not to say to let myself go completely, it's nice to put on a little makeup for my husband every once in awhile and change out of my pj's before he gets home, but I'm not going to obsess about what I look like out in public. Our speaker made a good point this morning-who told you you had to look like that? It led into the media and our society these days putting so much pressure (especially on to little girls) that you have to look a certain way. As Madison's mom, I need to be one person she can always come to who will never judge her and love her no matter what, no matter her weight or any other looks. The word "diet" should never come out of our mouths. Being healthy and who God made us and eating healthy is most important. It's getting tougher now that she is getting older because she mimics everything I do and say. I have to become more aware of that knowing that her little eyes are watching. I need to be content in everything, because as the mother, I set the tone of the home-the saying "If momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy" is so true. And contentment starts when comparison stops. I can't stress about things that have no eternal value (which is a lot easier said than done!)

We are doing a new study in our Sunday School class which is called "Lord, Change My Attitude." It's a great study and we have homework to do during the week as well, which definitely reminds me to be content throughout the week. The main theme of it is contentment, and one of the verses I love is Philippians 4:11: "I have learned to be content in any circumstance." It's so tough during this stage of our lives, because there is always more-a bigger house, more stuff, more kids, a nicer car, etc. However we are learning to slow down and savor every moment of this time in our lives, because it passes by so quickly, and give thanks to God for all we have and all we need. God has convicted me so much lately, and let's just say I really needed to hear the stuff that I've been hearing at church lately and I'm so thankful to have a church that facilitates constant spiritual growth each week.

So after MOPS this morning, I picked the kids up from the nursery and while I fed Landon, the music staff snapped some pictures of the new music secretary, who is taking my mom's place apparently:
She was too funny talking on the phone and "writing."

In other news, I'm so happy to announce that we are getting another member of the family! And noooo, I'm not pregnant...My brother proposed to his girlfriend on Tuesday and there should be a wedding sometime this summer. My children are finally going to have an aunt and I am finally getting a sister! Rachel is a wonderful, strong Christian girl who is in graduate school at UGA getting her PharmD degree. I'm so excited for them and looking forward to getting to know her more.


1 comment:

Katerina said...

What a wonderful post! And I love your Bible quotation on your bathroom mirror!

Thanks for shareing!

Your newest follower
Katerina
from
http://happymummysworld.blogspot.com/

Related Posts with Thumbnails