Tuesday, September 7, 2010

39 Weeks!

Today we had the 39 week appointment. I finally made a little bit of progress (I was having contractions all the way there). I'm now 1 cm dilated and 80% effaced, so my midwife was able to strip my membranes. That is where they separate the bag of water (amniotic sac) from my uterus near the cervix. Apparently that releases prostaglandins, hormones that may start labor or ripen the cervix. It hurt like crazy but I'm hoping it will help things along. It doesn't always work, but was worth a try!

If nothing happens, we go back on Monday for a sonogram to make sure everything is ok still and then they will talk about inducing me. I'm hoping I'll go more naturally than have to be induced. Overall, I'm just excited at this point, even with contractions that are a little more painful over the past few days. But I do know that I will get to meet our sweet little boy next week at the latest!!

3 comments:

{ang} said...

Yeah! Can't wait until Baby Boy #1 gets here!

Alex and Orchid Christensen said...

AH! My goodness your baby is coming soooo soon!!!!! Your poor tummy looks like it's had it ha ha!!! Congratulations!!! By the way, a lot of ppl will tell you that you can't be induced without having an epidural and my mother in law was induced with her last two children and did it completely natural! You can do it!!! Congrats!!!

Katie Reeder said...

Hang in there! The membrane sweep worked for Jennifer last time:). We can't wait to meet Landon!

Related Posts with Thumbnails