Thursday, February 25, 2010

Training a Child/Stream of Consciousness

Since most of my posts are rambling anyways, I'm adapting Mckmama's Stream of Consciousness idea...

We have been teaching Madison the word "no" for quite awhile now, and it's getting to be the most commonly said word around our home! Eventually, we will have to start disciplining when she is old enough to really learn. Disciplining your child may be hard to do (especially when it's so hard to resist their little face!), but we know that it is for their learning and protection, as we learn from Proverbs 23:13-14. Another one of my favorite verses that I always try to remember is Proverbs 22:6: "Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it." This goes for everything, building up their character, establishing good morals and manners, self-confidence, obedience to God, commitment to attending church each week,etc.

The biggest point though is that I hope we never stop being parents. When our children are grown and are able to do their own thing, we will still be there to help them in their adulthood, guiding them and keeping them accountable for the things they do and to God. I'm so thankful my parents are still there teaching me right from wrong still, still keeping me accountable in my spiritual life and morals...you never stop learning! Even if our kids are over 18, they will still hear it from us if they say a curse word, watch a bad movie or trashy show, stop going to church, buy a lottery ticket, or even take a single sip of beer/wine. In my heart I hope that they will have learned by that time that all those things are wrong, and at least have a guilty conscious. (I know that if I miss church one Sunday for a reason not good enough, my guilty conscious is killing me.) Even if our adult children might be living in our home still in years to come, they won't be allowed to do certain things. As long as they are under ours or someone else's roof, they must obey the rules regardless of how old they are. But hopefully that shouldn't be an issue! Some un-churched people may find this stuff to be strict, but we refuse to be just "lukewarm" Christians, neither hot nor cold, to where God says He would "spit you out of His mouth" (Revelation 3:16). We strive to obey God wholeheartedly, not halfheartedly.

Therefore as parents, we strive to set the example for our kids ourselves. We never want to be the type of parents that say "Do as I say, not as I do." We find that completely disgraceful. We want to be the example of being "in the world but not of the world." The world is an ungodly, sinful place, where sin was born, and as God's children we must not fall into the temptations this world has to offer. Why indulge in this world when our main goal is to please God, and in eternity we will be worshiping God forever? Why not start now? God is going to judge us for every little thing we've done when we die.

We love our baby (and future ones) and dedicated to raising her in the Lord last year on Mother's Day. We're so glad she has such a wonderful church to be a part of and grow in. Brad and I absolutely love our church and while the church cannot "change" someone, Jesus does, and always for the better. Each night before putting Madison down for bed, I pray that God will protect her, keep her healthy, and most importantly that she will become a strong, godly woman after His own heart. We cannot wait for the day she makes the decision to invite Christ into her heart and life. I still vividly remember my spiritual birthday, back on January 27, 1993. Most important decision I ever made. I can't wait to share in that with my daughter.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails