Tuesday, November 17, 2009

What I'm Thankful For Today

Since Thanksgiving is next week, it got me thinking about how thankful I am for everything in my life. God has blessed me so much more than I could ever deserve. One of the biggest blessings is my parents. The little "Motivation for Moms" box to the right today reminded me of how important being active in church is, and how my parents ingrained that in my mind, too.

I consider myself so blessed to have parents who took me to church every Sunday morning, night, and Wednesday night of my entire life (although I know they had to force me on Wednesdays sometimes when I was younger!) I grew up with an amazing circle of friends and family at church. These people are always there for you when you need them: in times of crisis, in times of joy, and just to be there to hang out with or talk during the week. I can't even begin to count how many people from church came to visit us in the hospital when Madison was born. In the few days we were there, it felt as though the entire church came. They provided food for us for weeks when we got home and always checked on us to make sure we were doing well.

In a smaller setting, I am so happy to be a part of a Sunday School class. We have the most caring and thoughtful people who we are all so close to. I am so thankful we know them (if we didn't go to church, we wouldn't know anyone outside family!) Not to mention we have had about 7 babies in our class in the past 2 years! These are the people Madison will grow up to be friends with and grow spiritually with. I want to give Madison the best life possible, and I know as a parent that the most important thing to do for your child is to love them and obey God, and by doing that, other things fall into place, like taking them to church every Sunday.

I'm not sure why some parents who consider themselves Christians don't think it's important to give your child a place to be and grow with other believers each Sunday. I know some are just lazy and not willing to get up for the most important day of the week. Some may think other things are more important and might be too busy for church. I once heard a quote that said "If Satan can't make you bad, he will make you busy." I found this article that sums it up pretty well: http://www.victorious.org/whygo.htm

We have to remember to look to God's Word for all our answers: "Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it." -Proverbs 22:6. Boy isn't that true! I don't know where I would be right now if my parents hadn't trained me in this way. They are always there for me as my mentors and spiritual encouragers. As I've gotten older, it has been so great to have someone to talk to about my spiritual life. As a mom now, I really look up to my own mom and have the greatest respect for her. She has taught me so much through not only her words, but also her actions. I consider her a Proverbs 31 woman. She is the godliest woman I know and I am so thankful I get to learn from her each and every day. She supports me not only spiritually, but also as a mother. Her advice is always at the top of my list and I always listen to her-and she always turns out right! God has given us a closeness that we didn't always have, and I hope one day Madison and I can have that same closeness.

So thank you Mom and Dad for loving me enough to take me to church every Sunday! Thank you for always being there and encouraging us to get involved and volunteer. Brad and I can only hope to be half as great of parents that y'all were to me.

Dedicating Madison to the Lord at RSBC--the same place my parents dedicated me as a baby.


Us in 1992


2007 at UGA

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Okay, girl, that about made me cry. You made my day (actually my month, year?)It means so much to me to hear you say these things. Thank you. I am also very blessed to have you in my life. I have to say this also...that my own parents began the church tradition with me as I was growing up, I was always at church, no excuses, etc. It was the habit/duty/joy of "honoring God". I'm so thankful that they made us do this. God blesses through the generations those that honor Him through worship and obedience. I pray I will continue to do that and that you and Brad will also with Madison and her brothers or sisters-to-be. I love you.
Mom

Related Posts with Thumbnails