Friday, March 27, 2009

Labor and Delivery Story

I finally have a little time to update even though I haven't gotten any sleep. Madison is a little piggy who likes to eat alllll night! She had her first pediatrician appointment yesterday since she is 1 week old! She weighed 6 lbs. 7 oz. at the hospital, and like most babies lost weight immediately, going down to 5 lbs. 15 oz. Yesterday at her appointment she was up to 6 lbs. 12 oz! She has passed her birth weight in just a week. She is doing absolutely perfect and only cries when her diaper is being changed (and only sometimes). She has strawberry blonde hair and blue eyes, and almost white eyelashes and brows, which tells me she will probably look like both Brad and I did when we were little.

Well for those who wanted to know how it went down, after I updated last time (water leaking) my water leaked again later on that night. So I called the midwife and she told me to come on to the hospital. We got there around 9:20 pm March 18. They were so busy that I had to wait until after 11 to even be seen (unless it was an emergency). They didn't even assess me, but finally took us back to a L&D room, hooked me up to some monitors, and tested to see if my water had really leaked. The first test (litmus paper) came back negative. But finally the second test (examined under microscope) came up positive for amniotic fluid. I was apparently having some good contractions too and did not know it. So they kept me without sending me home (yay). They started me on Pitocin at midnight. After awhile I began to have some bad lower back pain. I didn't want an epidural yet so I had some medication through the IV. That kicked in and I felt great, and fell asleep. Around 3 am they came in and woke me up because my contractions were about 1 minute apart and Madison's heartrate had dropped for just a short period. They decided to insert an interior monitor, but couldn't get the rest of my bag of water broken to get it in. After spending about 20 minutes trying to do that, I was bleeding everywhere and the midwife refused to try anymore unless I got an epidural. On the monitor, anything above 50 was a contraction. My contractions went off the charts and shot up to the 130's, so I was in some pain. So I decided to get the epidural. At that point I was about 2 cm dilated. I woke up later around 5:20 am in some pain, which was weird because I had gotten the epidural. I just felt like I was completely dilated, even though 2 hours before I was only 2 cm. I called the nurse and she turned me on my other side, thinking my pain was from being on one side too long, but when she did that I had the urge to start pushing. She checked me and sure enough I was already at 10 cm. Brad called to get my mom to come in the room (she was in the bathroom!) and the midwife came in too. I pushed for about 45-50 minutes, and Madison Elise was born at 6:17 am ON her due date! I guess she is a little perfectionist already! We stayed at the hospital until Saturday afternoon. It is so good to be home!

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Why am I always in the bathroom when something important is going on!! Good grief. Anyway, thank goodness for cell phones...thanks for updating..I'll never forget that experience of Madison's birth. She's precious. Love, Mom

Related Posts with Thumbnails